Masters in TESOL Programs
The Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) education specialization may have become important to school districts nationwide because of the immigration trends. The schools we have listed here may offer the direct route to professional licensure and employment in the field of multicultural teaching.
1. American College of Education : Provides an online MEd in Curriculum & Instruction with ESL specialization. While the title of this degree suggests that it is preparation for an administrative role, it may also mean to provide the necessary academic underpinnings for teachers seeking a TESOL certification for classroom work.
2. Capella University has Master of Teaching in TESOL degree for teachers who have obtained an initial teaching license and are currently working in the field. The curriculum is designed for teaching English Language Learners, meaning students who have a partial knowledge of the language but most likely speak a foreign language at home. Some professionals who complete this program may also move into curriculum development for ELLs.
3. University of Southern California Rossier School of Education has made a start in their online education initiative with the Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) now available as a distance learning degree, with five areas of concentration. The program may also be open to people interested in a teaching career who have no background in education. In one year these students may be working with a conditional teaching degree, engaged in supervised TESOL classroom work.
4. Ashford University offers an online Master of Education in Reading and Literacy that is another specialization of sorts in TESOL education. There is also a MEd in Teaching the English Language Learner, a term for TESOL education used in many states. This degree is made available on the University campus in Clinton, Iowa.
5. Jones International University is an online school that focuses on just two areas, business and education. The degree options in both fields are extensive. The Master of Education (MEd) in TESOL is a specialization for teachers working at any level in the K-12 grade range, providing training in linguistics, literacy, reading and the basics of teaching English Language Learners (ELLs).
6. Northcentral University offers a basic Masters in TESOL degree consisting of nine courses that focus heavily on diversity and multicultural issues that shape the teaching of English to speakers of other languages. Courses in Second Language Acquisition and Foundations of Instruction for ESOL provide the linguistics training. There are some academic prerequisites for this program available from the University.
7. Nova Southeastern University has several online Masters in Teaching with TESOL specializations. There is a MEd in Teaching Reading & English to Speakers of Other Languages, a MEd in Teaching English as a Foreign Language, and a MEd in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages. There are options for students who want a career in TESOL in the U.S. and for students who would like to teach English abroad.
8. Grand Canyon University offers a MEd in TESOL degree that is open to working teachers along with specialized training for teaching students for whom English is a second language.
9. Western Governors University offers MEd in ELL/ESL, or English as a Second Language, is designed to provide the appropriate training for teachers who would like to obtain an ESL or ELL credential in their state of residence and employment.
10. American Public University has an online Master of Teaching English Language Learners, with a curriculum that is designed provide the necessary TESOL skills to teachers who are working in multicultural, diverse classroom settings.